Scholarships: College Study Abroad Programs, IFSA-Butler
IFSA-Butler believes that study abroad should be within the reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and financing opportunities for our students.
General scholarship awards are $500 for summer programs, $1,500 for semester programs and $2,500 for full year programs. These scholarships may apply to any IFSA-Butler or Alliance program, with the exception of our custom programs.
Country- and program-specific scholarships
IFSA-Butler offers numerous scholarships that are specific to certain programs or countries:
- Queen Mary, University of London funds a £1,500 (approximately $1,800) stipend for two IFSA-Butler International Correspondents, available through the IFSA-Butler Work to Study grant. Interested Queen Mary students should view International Correspondent position description in the PDF on the IFSA-Butler Work-to-Study grant page. You can also learn more about the stipend on the Queen Mary, University of London page.
- Trinity College Dublin offers travel grants and scholarships between €1,500 and €3,000. Awards available to IFSA-Butler students include the Study Abroad STEM Scholarship, the Global Study Abroad Excellence Scholarships and the Trinity College Dublin Generation Study Abroad Travel Grant. Click here for more details.
- Government of Israel Scholarships: The Israeli government provides special scholarships for students of Hispanic backgrounds. Click here for details.
- Numerous scholarship opportunities are available for study at Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Contact your program advisor for details.
- UpFront Auckland: The University of Auckland offers several $5,000-7,500 scholarships to help students cover some of the upfront costs of studying abroad. See the UpFront Program page for more details.
- University of Canterbury: Canterbury awards multiple scholarships exclusively for IFSA-Butler students. Awards range from NZ$1,500 to NZ$2,500, and the university also gives "general awards" to select students upon arrival.
- Massey University: Massey gives Study Awards of NZ$1,000
- University of Otago: Otago is offering IFSA-Butler first generation college students the exclusive opportunity to apply for one of two housing awards for NZ$4,555 for semester 2 (U.S. fall) 2017. Apply for the award by completing our scholarship application by March 1, 2017. To also learn more about and apply for the IFSA-Butler First Generation Scholarship, click here.
- Education New Zealand offers US$2,000 Travel Awards to fund air travel to New Zealand. In addition, Excellence Awards give US$500 toward the cost of study abroad at any New Zealand university. Click here for more information.
- Education New Zealand is also offering a full-tuition scholarship up to $15,000 for any semester program in New Zealand
IFSA-Butler's UpFront Loan program allows semester or full-year students on any program to bill the program deposit and airfare to their IFSA-Butler student account. Students can then pay these expenses with financial aid or with our monthly payment option. Click here for details.
The UpFront Auckland Scholarship program covers both of these expenses for recipients who attend our University of Auckland program.
Work-to-Study students work on projects for a stipend ranging between $300 and $1,000, depending on the scope and involvement of the project completed. Click here to learn more.
Fill the GAP Program
Fill the GAP (Global Account Program) allows students to get a head start on study abroad by saving early for an IFSA-Butler program. Friends and family are also allowed to contribute to a student's Fill the GAP account. Participating students receive a matching scholarship up to $1,000.
First Generation Scholar Program
The First Generation Scholars Program awards up to $2,500 for study abroad-related expenses for students who are first generation college students. Support services are also part of this great program.
Applying for a scholarship
All IFSA-Butler applicants are welcome to apply for a scholarship by submitting the scholarship application. This is separate from the IFSA-Butler program application.
To apply for any IFSA-Butler scholarship:
- Download the application.
- Return the completed application by uploading it via the IFSA-Butler student portal.
- Email a copy of your most recent financial aid award letter (from your home university financial aid office) to Becki Niccum. You can also email Becki with any questions regarding scholarships.
The following deadlines apply to all IFSA-Butler scholarships except Fill the GAP and First Generation Scholar programs. Students who are not selected for a scholarship following the priority deadline will still be considered for scholarships after the final deadline.
Fall semester, semester 2 and academic year programs:
March 1 (priority deadline) and April 1 (final deadline)
Spring semester, semester 1 and calendar year programs
October 1 (priority deadline) and November 1 (final deadline)
February 1 (priority deadline) and April 1 (final deadline)
IFSA-Butler will notify recipients approximately one month after the application deadline.
Other scholarship opportunities
Click here for a list of other organizations that may offer financial support for international study.
Financing study abroad
For more information about applying financial aid to study abroad, visit our student guide to financial aid page.